Come join us for our online mending session, introducing you to the beautiful techniques of Japanese Mending wherever you are in the world!
Our workshops are inclusive and suitable for complete beginners.
You will be given an introduction in to the traditional Japanese method of mending- using Sashiko, you can use fabrics as patches or embroider directly on to your clothing to fix any holes and create beautiful traditional designs.
This will be a hand sewing class, so no need to be a pro on the sewing machine! Which means you will be able to learn the techniques and continue to fix your clothing in the comfort of your own home!
You will leave the workshop feeling inspired to continue fixing and rejuvenating all of your favourite pieces that need a bit of TLC or even if you just want to customise your jeans to make them a bit more exciting.
What you will need:
- A pair of scissors
- A Sashiko needle
- x4 Cotton thread skeins (colours of your choosing)
- x5 pieces of fabric - either cotton, canvas or denim (at least 10cmx10cm)
- A selection of smaller scrap pieces of fabric
- A Sashiko design template (or you can design your own)
- x1 tailor's chalk pencil/pen
- Refreshments (this can be a cup of tea or a glass of wine!)
Techniques you will learn:
- Sashiko Designs of either Seigaiha/ Cherry Blossom/ Shippou
- Satin Stitch
- Boro Stitch layering
- Boro lines and crosses
At the end of the workshop we will also show you how to sew your lovely patches on to an item of clothing - so feel free to bring one of your much loved pieces along that needs repairing.
Restoration London also sell Mending kits which you can use for our workshops.
You can take a look at our kits on our website here > MENDING KITS
Once you've booked on to the workshop you will receive a confirmation email with the google meets invite and link - please make sure you check the link prior to the workshop.